As trainers we often talk about motivation - motivation to eat well, to train hard and to rest smart. It's interesting how humans have undergone a critical shift in priorities and not exactly in the right direction.
YOU CHARGE YOUR MOBILE PHONE AT NIGHT SO IT DOESN'T DIE IN THE A.M, YET YOU SKIP BREAKFAST
YOU TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE SHOP EACH TIME YOU GET AN OIL LEAK, YET YOU DON'T GO HOME WHEN YOU GET A COLD
YOU WILL NOT USE YOUR HUSBAND'S/WIFE'S SHAMPOO YET YOU'LL EAT THEIR DESSERT
Here's my suggestion, shift some of that care you show your things to the care you could show your body.
Start with how mobile you can be. After you charge your mobile phone, charge your upper back with more mobility. You can do it at night, or you can do it before your workout.
1. Use a foam roller for about 1 minute to mobilize your upper back.
2. Do the following exercises:
- quadruped thoracic rotation for 10 reps each side
- cat-camel for 10 reps
- 4 point rock for 10 reps
- reach, roll and lift for 10 reps each side
3. Use a foam roller again for about 1 minute and move on to a workout or a more mobile day.
Want more mobility? Pick up a copy of the Inside-Out. It's the most comprehensive tool you'll ever need to improve your performance and the way your upper body feels while sitting, standing, walking and working out!